Sierra Club Lake Erie Group

Northwest Pennsylvania

Located in northwest PA

The Lake Erie Group  (LKE) - serves Erie, Clarion, Crawford, Forest, Venango,  and Warren counties, which is bordered by two environmentally important assets: Lake Erie and the Allegheny National Forest (ANF). While the smallest group in the Pennsylvania chapter according to membership, the group sponsors a variety of activities to keep its members active. 

Since 1995, members have participated in the Game Land Cleanup, in which the group partners with the PA Game Commission to pick up and remove the litter and trash left behind on the highways and parking areas. The Commission provides the dump truck and the group provides the laborers to fill the truck with trash to be hauled away. 

 

The group is working to get members involved in monitoring, commenting on, and advocating for the ANF, which has suffered dramatically from drilling for natural gas. There are over 15,000 oil and gas wells in the Allegheny, more than the other 154 National Forests combined. The U.S. Forest Service owns only 7 percent of the ANF’s subsurface mineral rights; private interests own the other 93 percent. Since 2000, over 5,000 oil and gas wells have been drilled. 

 

 

 

 

 

Members Area

Recent Photos

Recent Forum Posts

Recent Blog Entries

Upcoming Events

No upcoming events

Testimonials

  • "August 27, 2008 POSITION PAPER Tires-to-Energy Plant proposed for Erie, PA "
    Tire Plant Position Paper

Newest Members